Sunday, March 11, 2007

Def Poetry Jam

I absolutely love this series. No matter the message and whether you agree with the words of the poets or not, the delivery is passionate and from the heart. So, I thought I'd share some poems that spoke to me when I heard them and might have the same affect on you. Tell me what you think...

P.O.W. (Prisoner of Words) - This poem really spoke to my heart. I find that there are many times that I bite my tongue and don't speak my truth.


Homeward - As a first generation American, this poem spoke to me in ways that only other first generation Americans could. We share experiences that others cannot understand. I felt every word of this poem.


Like... You know? - This poem speaks VOLUMES! I am always saying this when listening to people speak. The inflection at the end of their sentences as if to punctuate their statements with a question mark. Then there are the constant 'ya knows' that others punctuate their sentences with to the point that it becomes an unconscious verbal tick. I was so happy to hear this and know that I'm not alone in this thought; to this poem, I simply say AMEN!


I once saw Floetry perform on Def Poetry and it was soooo fly, but I've never been able to locate this clip. If anyone out there knows where I can locate it, please let me know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home