Thursday, February 15, 2007

We lost another one...


So yet another one of our locked divas in the public eye goes for the big chop! Goapele has cut her locs off. She's a gorgeous woman, so she's still gorgeous, but I just hate that she cut them off.

I know that having locs isn't a lifetime thing for most and I can't even say that I'll be locked for the rest of my life, although I feel like I could, because you never know what you might feel later or what life might bring. I just hate that a lot of 'celebrities' that were sporting locks and so beautifully, have cut them off. To name a few:

Lenny Kravitz
Lauryn Hill
Vanessa Williams (the actress that used to be on Soul Food & Melrose Place)
India Arie
Goapele
Busta Rhymes

I know that this has not affected the growing popularity of locking in the least bit, but I also know that some of these people helped to inspire me because they were rocking their locks proudly and showed me how beautiful they could be. They were in the public eye and easy to see.

I'm not judging them for their decision in any way. I know that it's only hair and it's their decision what they do with it. It just pains me because I think they were setting such a beautiful example for those that might not have any other locked people in their area to see how beautiful being natural is. It just saddens me.

What do you think about this?

5 Comments:

Blogger Christina said...

I think it sucks! Her locs were so beautiful. Mabey she has decided to start over. I hope she keeps it natural regardless of what she decides to do!

February 16, 2007 at 7:26 AM  
Blogger Abena Abena said...

Ohhhh...how sad....Her locks were so beautiful. I wonder what she plans on doing next.

February 16, 2007 at 1:55 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

OMG NOOOOOOO!!! I can't believe it!!...oh and er..by the way...er.. you TAGGED!! ahahaa..(evil laugh)...(((HUGS)))..
....just me...daez

February 17, 2007 at 2:53 PM  
Blogger Creyole said...

Ohhhh this pains me but I guess that's what Hollywood does to people. They never stay the same for long! baah humbug!

February 19, 2007 at 12:25 AM  
Blogger Cee said...

Her locks were so beautiful, I loved the way they looked.. Vanessa Williams from Soul Food, locks were beautiful also.. Seeing her every week on Soul Food with the lock was one of the reason I wasn't looks. If Whoopi chops hers off, then I will not know what to say.

April 1, 2007 at 2:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home