Thursday, November 01, 2007

Maxwell

Sooooo, I've been missing Maxwell's presence on the music scene. I've been following his Myspace page because it's been promising that he'd be releasing the first of a trilogy project called 'Black Summer's Night' this year. One album is to be released per year for the next three years. I am sooooo looking forward to it as I'm sure most are.

I reached out to Maxwell once via his page and had a conversation with him about his Haitian heritage. It had been rumored that he is half Haitian and half Puerto Rican, but he'd never confirmed it, so I sent him a message and asked about it. He confirmed that his mother was Haitian, but abandoned him at a very young age and it's a painful subject for him, so he doesn't speak of it often. I was honored when he told me that my asking him about him could be something that lead to a healing process for him. I told him that Haitians would embrace him as one of our own and that he could learn about his history which might make him feel closer to his mother. The experience touched me because he said that the creator must have sent me to him. It made me feel closer to him as an artist, as you'd imagine.

I've been watching his page very closely and he's finally posted a snippet of one of his new songs, so check out his page to hear it. He's cut off his gorgeous fro, but he's still gorgeous as ever. Can't wait for him to go on tour again. He's one of the best performers I've ever seen live, bar none!!

This made me think of some of his music that I've loved over the years, so I've posted the video for 'Get to know you' since I love this song so much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home