Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Michael Richard's racist rant..

I was completely oblivious to this until my friend Sam (wink, wink Papi) informed me of the news/controversy about Michael Richard's racist rant on stage at the Laugh Factory. I was absolutely appalled when I saw the footage and heard what was said. I will not even post it on my blog because it's just that offensive IMO.

If you haven't had a chance to hear exactly what was said, w/o editing, I'd suggest you check it out on TMZ's site. I know that he's since apologized and said that he lost his temper due to some African American men who were heckling him, but is that really any excuse? It's not that you lost your temper, but what you said when you did. I often quote the following phrase 'many a truth is said in jest' and it certainly applies in this case. You can't apologize for being a racist and that automatically wipes the slate clean or in any way explains it away.

It reminded me of the recent controversy surrounding the drunk tirade that Mel Gibson went on regarding Jews when he was arrested for a DUI charge. It reminded me of another phrase, 'a drunk man's words are a sober man's truth'. Again, you can play the blame game (blaming it on your temper, the alcohol, etc), but it all boils down to what's really in your heart.

I'm really upset because I'm such a Seinfeld fan and I feel this has tarnished that for me. I'll never be able to watch and laugh at Kramer like I used to because now in the back of my mind I'll be thinking, 'hehe hell ya racist bastard'. Such is life, but it doesn't make it any easier to swallow.

Nat.. (disillusioned and disappointed)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home