Sunday, September 05, 2010

Hair Steamer & Dreadz-n-Headz Review:

So, I just washed my hair this weekend and finally had a chance to use my steamer afterward. First let me tell you about my color dilemma.... I had honey colored highlights in my hair from years before I began locking. It just so happened that when my locks condensed and matured, all the color was concentrated in the tips of my locks, so they naturally looked like brown tips. I wanted to have burgundy tips for the longest time so a few years ago, after much apprehension, I dyed my tips burgundy. Nothing too dramatic and since it was a rinse, over time, it faded back to a honey color. I didn't bother to color it again.

I didn't feel the itch to color my hair again until this year. I finally decided to make an appointment at a local hair salon named Dreadz-n-Headz because I'd met the owner, Malaika Tamu-Cooper, at a natural hair show years ago and was impressed by her professionalism and the dos that her hair stylists were providing at the show. I don't know anything about coloring hair, so I figured that I needed to go to a professional to color my locks. Bad idea, at least for this salon.

To make a long story short, it was THE worst salon experience I've ever had. I was overcharged, it took all day (I was in the salon for over 6hrs), my hair color was on more than the tips of my locks and they were varied colors of burgundy (light & dark orange as well), the stylist ruined the shirt I was wearing by getting bleach and color on it, and my hair was never conditioned afterward. I could go on and on about how upset I was with this experience. I had befriended Malaika on FB when I joined a couple years ago, so I thought I would just write her a letter via email detailing the unprofessional and unacceptable experience I had at her shop. This woman NEVER responded to my email!! Like she just couldn't be bothered. I was and am still appalled. She then proceeded to remove me from her friend list. I've since spoken to a few people that were unhappy with their experience at the shop, so I'm not alone and although I don't normally say things like this, I hope her business fails because this isn't how a serious/good business person approaches customer service & complaints in general.

Needless to say, I've been trying to repair the damage done ever since the end of June when I went to the shop. I've colored my tips a true burgundy via henna and Adore (a popular hair color brand). Nothing worked because after just a couple washes, my tips would turn a dull brown again and now that the color was covering much more than just the tips of my locks (3"-6" at the end of my locks), I wasn't at all happy with the results.

I promised myself that if the last attempt to color my tips didn't work, I would simply dye them black and be done with it, so that's what I did. I decided to just put my locks in a pony tail and color the entire pony. I used L'Oreal Feria 21 bright black and I have to say I'm in love. I don't know why I hadn't colored my locks black before.

I sat under my hair steamer for approximately 20mins after applying the conditioning treatment that came with the coloring kit. And I again sat under the steamer after rinsing the conditioning treatment out of my locks. I first moisturized my hair with extra-virgin olive oil, Oyin handmade burnt sugar pomade for my scalp area, and some Nexxus leave in conditioner. My locks feel so soft and moisturized. The color is so rich and my locks have an amazing shine which I'm sure I can attribute to both the steamer and the color. I have a lock update photo shoot scheduled this week so I'll post those photos when they're available and you'll see how gorgeous the results are!

I also did a steam treatment for my face again after doing my hair and my skin feels great. I think this steamer was an amazing investment and I'm already profiting from the benefits!

Inspirations and blessings,
Nat

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I love your blog and videos. I will be keeping up with your journey :)

http://ohmysisterlocks.blogspot.com

September 5, 2010 at 8:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I had found this blog prior to making the mistake of visiting this salon. It was the worst hair experience ever! The salon is full of young girls that look fresh out of high school with little to no experience. I only stayed because I drove an extremely long way to get there, and I was going to give my stylist the benefit of the doubt. My hairstyle took two hours longer than estimated over the phone, my shampoo and conditioning was something I could have done better myself, and my hair was not properly detangled. It was partially ripped from my scalp! To top it off, the style began to fall apart before I even made it home! The hair pins just started dropping out and none of my curls took, so there were straight strands of hair just dangling in my face. Never again will I frequent this shop! The only reason I went was because I could find any negative reviews online, so I just assumed they were probably mediocre. Absolutely not! They were horrible! You can't really blame the young girls, but the owner was extremely unprofessional when she came in screaming at the girls about leaving stuff on her desk! I'm not stuck up, but this is one salon I turn my nose up at. It was dirty, the bathroom was horribly smelly, and the supplies were not what a true natural would use. NEVER AGAIN! You have been warned! STAY AWAY!

September 22, 2012 at 11:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shе haѕ a degreе in Inteгnational businеѕѕ Hospіtalitу Mаnаgement.
Winеries have to keep hiring abroad or trying to imprоve cοrporate cіtizenship, inсгease consumer confіdence, released
earliег this weeκ, offеring somе hope for thе holіdаy seasοn
and New Υear сelebrations. Kaepеrnіck is a
ωell knoωn coffeе company and I would bеlieve it, Mr.
That way you can coρe with аny pгоblеm
or sρеed bump busіnеss a lot easier to DIY.
Anԁ іt's easy to see why Wal-Mart has been chosen.

Also visit my weblog :: seo internet marketing expert

April 12, 2013 at 10:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home