Wednesday, August 11, 2010

I'm getting a new toy!

A Hair Steamer



Yup, I'm getting a hair steamer for my locks! Prior to a couple weeks ago, I didn't even know that hair steamers existed. Well, thanks to my new youtube obsession (lol), I came across a vid about using a hair steamer. The person that used it raved about how soft their hair turned out and how well moisturized it was after the treatment. So I thought it would be amazing for my locks as well. Especially for hot oil treatments and the like.

I did some research and here are the benefits of steam treatments for the hair:
- Better Circulation in Scalp leading to better hair growth
- Cleanses Scalp, removing dirt and dead skin
- Brings moisture to your Roots and hair shaft
- Leaves your hair soft and smooth
- Great for Dandruff Sufferers
- Stops Dryness and hair Breakage
- Makes hair stronger and healthier
- Improves Hair Color Treatments


Hair steamers are more widely used for deep hair treatments such as scalp cleansing, protein moisturizing, color treatments, and many other treatments.

The reason why hair steamers are so great for hair treatments is that it will improve circulation with the steam and the heat will then open up your hair follicles and hair shaft cuticles which allows moisture as well as your hair treatment product (like oils for hot oil treatments) to enter the hair shaft.

The steamer is then set on a cooler setting towards the end of the hair treatment and this then closes the cuticles and hair shaft and locks in all that deep hair treatment product giving your hair long lasting benefits as well as using natural H2O to bring moisture to your hair and scalp.

I've learned the best moisturizer for natural hair is water, so this hair steamer should make a huge difference in the health of my already healthy locks and scalp! This can only make it better and even healthier!! I just received it, but have yet to wash my hair again, so as soon as I put it to use, I'll let you know the results!

If you're just starting your locks and dealing with flaking and itching, a steam treatment would do wonders for you since it brings moisture to the roots and scalp and is great for dandruff sufferers. Keep in mind that ACV rinses will help tremendously with this issue as well since it's a natural anti-bacterial and also cleanses the scalp.

By the way, the steamers aren't cheap. I paid $118 for mine and I found it on ebay. If you purchase yours via ebay, I would caution you to make sure you know what the shipping cost is prior to placing your order. Some of the hair steamers seem cheap and then they tag on a $30+ shipping fee that trumps the value.

I just found another site for a good hood steamer similar to the one I purchased called the Heutiful Hair Steamer. They run $114.95 and the facial steamer attachment is an additional $9.95. Here's a video review of this steamer from a natural youtuber:


I specifically wanted a model that was like a hood dryer and could be stored in a closet easily. Most of the hair steamers I saw were stand alone models and they weren't practical for me. One of the nice things about the model I got, pictured above, is that it has an attachment that can be used to convert it from a hair steamer into a steamer for facial treatments, which is an added bonus. I plan to use it for both!

I realize we're in a recession and a lot of people don't have $100+ to invest in a hair steamer, so you can always do an alternative. Take a regular bath towel, wet it and fold it. Place the wet towel in your microwave until it's hot and place on your wet hair (with oil treatment on your locks). Wrap the towel with either plastic wrap or a plastic bag to lock in the moisture. You will need to keep your locks wrapped for 20 - 30 minutes. This will give you a steam treatment. You will need to put some cooler water on your hair and scalp after this treatment to close the cuticles and hair shaft to lock in the moisture. I would suggest a spritz bottle with cool water and for an added bonus, include a few drops of essential oils like Peppermint, Lavender, Tea Tree, etc.

I hope this information is helpful and please let me know how it works for you!

Inspirations and blessings,
Nat

2 Comments:

Blogger Lady Butterfly said...

EXCELLENT information!!! Thank you so much. So glad you're back too!

August 11, 2010 at 10:50 AM  
Blogger Natacha said...

Hi LadyButterfly!!!

You're very welcome, I can't WAIT to experience this when I wash my hair again this weekend!

If you decide to purchase one, please let me know what your results are!!!

Inspirations and blessings,
Nat

August 11, 2010 at 11:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home