Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Mama Africa - We loved you Miriam Makeba


I can't believe she's gone. I was immensely saddened to hear that Miriam Makeba collapsed after a performance in Italy this week and passed away shortly after at the age of 76. She has been an iconic singer from South Africa. Remembering her has always brought back fond memories for me. My father used to play her music when I was a child and as a result, one of my favorite childhood songs was 'The Naughty Little Flea'.

I was lucky enough, after all these years of loving Ms Makeba, to see her live at Trafalgar Square in London last year for Africa Day. She was so beautiful, energetic, and regal. It was pouring rain and so cold, but the crowd flocked together and made our own kind of warmth. She was the sun and we basked in her glory and radiance!

You will be sincerely missed and our love and respect for you will never end Miriam...

Here's a live performance from the 60's of my favorite Miriam Makeba song.. Enjoy:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was equally saddened to hear of her demise...She was a great singer...she will be sorely missed! RIP Mama Africa!

November 11, 2008 at 1:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home