Friday, April 27, 2007

Miss Celie's Blues...

I was recently reminded how much I love this song and I realized that I love it because it feels so personal. I could identify with Celie's low self-esteem in the film (The Color Purple). I used to cover my mouth when I smiled because I don't like the gap in my teeth, thought I was the ugly duckling of my family, etc. I remember crying the first time I saw this scene because it touched me so much. It's all about coming into your own, right? I feel like I'm slowly doing that in my life and largely through the eyes of others. It's amazing how those around you can see qualities in you that you are completely unaware of (like Shug did for Miss Celie), but once they point them out, you begin to see them as well and gain more strength within yourself.

So I thought I'd post the scene and the lyrics to share with anyone else that could relate like I did!



Sister,
You've been on my mind oh
Sister, we're two of a kind
So sister,
I'm keepin' my eyes on you
I betcha think
I don't know nothin'
But singin' the blues
Oh sister, have I got news for you
I'm somethin'
I hope you think that you're somethin' too

Oh, Scufflin',
I been up that lonesome road
And I seen a lot of suns goin' down
Oh, but trust me
No low life's gonna run me around

So let me tell you somethin' sister
Remember your name
No twister,
Gonna steal your stuff away
My sister
We sho' ain't got a whole lot of time
So shake your shimmy, Sister
'Cause honey this 'shug is feelin' fine

3 Comments:

Blogger dregagurl said...

Thank you for sharing the words to this song. I love this scene in the Color Purple. And you are right, many times we need others to point out what they see before we see it in ourselves.

April 29, 2007 at 9:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

DITTO. I AM REALLY FEELING U ON THAT. GIRL U WOULD NEVER KNOW U WENT THROUGH IT...I COME HERE FOR A PICK ME UP.

May 3, 2007 at 12:04 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This is soo much like me Nat...I used to the same thing you did, cover my mouth when I smiled..even now I rarely take pictures showing my gaps, not because I'm ashamed, but from habit...thanks for the reminder to be true to myself (((HUGS)))..

...just me...daez

June 14, 2007 at 3:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home