Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Santorini


I admit it, I've been daydreaming again. One of my biggest ambitions is to travel abroad at my whim. I have so many places on my list that next year when my lease is up, I'm considering moving into a very small apartment, putting the remainder of my belongings that don't fit in my space into storage, saving up some money, and traveling whenever I want. I thought about saving up to purchase a home, but I'm not entirely convinced that I want to spend the rest of my life here in the states, nor purchase property here when I could do it elsewhere.

I say all this to say that one of the destinations high on my list is a group of small islands in Greece called Santorini. I know a lot of people aren't familiar with the name, but are familiar with photographs because it's known worldwide for it's unique architecture and beauty. Santorini is a small circular group of volcanic islands located in the Aegean Sea about 200km from mainland Greece. It's known all over Europe for it's wonderful nightlife and breath-taking sunsets. It's a place I've always dreamed of visiting. I have to admit that I've always said, should I ever get married, this is where I'd like to go on my honeymoon.

The architecture in Santorini is built into the mountain and everything is painted in a stark white that contrasts so beautifully with the crisp blue sky and sea that surrounds it. The accomodations are seemingly caverness, which lends to the beauty of the architecture. Check out some of the hotels in the link above and you'll see how beautiful it truly is. The photographer in me wants to go simply for the photo ops, so whoever I end up traveling with is going to have some awesome photos of themself in Santorini (smile).

I find myself daydreaming more and more about making my dreams of travel a reality. So I've been thinking about Santorini for the past day or so and since it's been on my mind, I thought I'd share some of the beauty I've seen that it has to offer with you so you can escape from your reality, if just for a moment too!
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Gorgeous place, right?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home