Monday, March 10, 2008

My Bikram Yoga Experience...

Ok, as promised, I said I'd write about my experience with Bikram yoga this weekend. So, I joined my local studio and attended a session both Saturday and Sunday morning. It's really hot in the room and the first class was more about acclimating myself to the heat as opposed to attempting each potsure. Overall, it was a very refreshing experience. It certainly felt like I was releasing my fair share of toxins. I was dripping wet throughout the class and understood why they instruct you to bring a large towel. You place the towel over your yoga mat so that you don't drip all over your mat as you're doing your yoga. Stepping outside of the yoga room into the hallway was like an orgasmic experience. The cool air felt soooo good (said like Halle Berry in Monster's Ball.. LMAO). And then stepping outside into the cool rain of Saturday morning was even more heavenly.

My instructor informed me that the room was a bit warmer than usual since it was humid outside due to the rain. She was impressed that I was able to stay in the room for the full 90mins on my first visit because even some of the seasoned veterans were complaining about how hot it was. She also shared that as the seasons change, our bodies reflect what is going on in the universe. Having said that, she also explained that we might feel light headed during the class due to the upcoming seasonal change and how our bodies react to it (read about that on her blog). I can say that I only felt light headed after attempting one position where we were flipping backwards and that was a bit much for me, so I'll have to work toward mastering this pose.

By the second day, I was attempting more of the postures. As I mentioned, the postures done in Bikram yoga are the same 26 postures done in the same sequence every class. You will do each pose twice and hold it for 30 seconds at a time (if possible.. lol). The postures are intense and my abs are sore, but I have to say that Bikram yoga is AWESOME!

I'll be attending sessions every day for the next 10 days and will give you a follow up at that point as well.

2 Comments:

Blogger V @ Locks-N-Motion said...

Sounds very interesting. I really want to do yoga now. I just have so much going on right now that it is imposiible. I hope to start soon though.I'm glad that you had a great experience. Thanks for sharing.

March 10, 2008 at 9:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing. I've been very intersted in yoga and will look for some classes in my area. ~ Dre

April 15, 2008 at 11:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home