Thursday, March 06, 2008

Bikram Yoga

Ok, so my sister in Brooklyn called me the other day to tell me about her new life altering find called Bikram Yoga. It's 26 posture series designed to scientifically warm and stretch muscles, ligaments and tendons, in the order in which they should be stretched.

What's different about Bikram Yoga is that it's practiced in a steam room warmed to 105 degrees with 40% humidity for 90 minutes. The idea is that while the yoga gently guides the body into correct alignment, strengthens and tones the muscles, lubricates the joints, and promotes flexibility, both the yoga and the heat provide tremendous benefits on the organs, glands, and fluids of the body by aiding in the release of toxins. Sounds great right? It's like a mixture of a practice that can center you, while having a spa-like experience, and a workout simultaneously!

So, in usual form, I went and did a bit of research online and I love what I've read about this form of yoga. The testimonials are uplifting and encouraging. My first class is this Saturday, so wish me luck. I will definitely be writing about my experience. The center that I will be joining offers an introductory package of unlimited yoga sessions w/i 10 consecutive days or only $25. I plan to go to a yoga session every day during those 10 days and report back.

Check out their site for more information about Bikram Yoga if you're interested and let me know about your experiences. The site also offers information on studios around the world, so you can check if there is a studio in your area that offers this type of yoga. I found the following information helpful from the site of the studio that I will be attending. It talks about what to expect if you're a beginner, so you may want to check it out if you're considering going, but have some apprehension about being a beginner.

1 Comments:

Blogger V @ Locks-N-Motion said...

Thanks so much for writing about this.
I just picked up running not too long ago and I heard that yoga was a good alternative exercise to do on rest days. I tried a yoga session on tv once and I loved it, but I still don't know much about it. I came across a Birkham Yoga studio (near a running shop) in my area so I might have to check it out! I must do some more research. Please let us know about your experience. Thanks again.

March 6, 2008 at 8:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home